Every UK driving licence issued has a unique set of numbers called a driving licence number.
This number sequence is unique to that of the driving licence bearer and is used as a means for the DVLA to identify you.
The DVLA is responsible for anything related to a driving licence in England, Scotland, and Wales, whilst the DVA operates in Northern Ireland.
However, if by chance you forget or lose your driving licence number, then you need not worry as this complete step-by-step guide will help you get your driving licence number.
In this short guide, you will learn about what a driving licence number is and why it is needed, as well as step-by-step instructions on how to know your driving licence number online.
What is my driving licence number UK?
Each licence holder in England, Scotland and Wales has a unique driver number, which is 16 characters long. The characters are constructed in the following way:1-5: The first five characters of the surname(padded with 9s if fewer than 5 characters).
From the image above, we can see that Number 5 displays the driving licence number, which is MORGA753116SM9IJ 35
You can refer to the article UK Driving Licence Explained for more information.
The Importance of Knowing Your Driving Licence Number UK
A UK driving licence is roughly the size of a typical bank card. On the front side is a unique 16-digit number created by the UK government for each person, allowing a person to drive on public roads in the UK.
Your driving licence number is vital for logging into the UK Government Site to check your driving record.
Checking your driving record is extremely useful if you want to obtain information regarding the following:
- The types of vehicles you are eligible to drive
- Possible penalty points
- Periods of disqualification
Another reason why knowing your driving licence number is important is if you need to generate a driving licence check code.
Car hire and car insurance companies use this code to register and verify your eligibility for their services.
There are two methods to find out your driving licence number.
Contact DVLA in Swansea, they will send the information to the lasr registered address of the licence holder.
We can see that it may take time to get your driving licence number using this method. If you want to find out your driving licence number immediately. Follow the method below.
Steps How to Get the Driving Licence Number if Lost (Online)
Suppose you can’t remember your driving licence number or have lost your driving licence but still have your National Insurance number, there is a way you can get information about your driving licence number.
In that case, you can go to GOV.UK View Driving Record Site to check your UK driving licence number.
- First, navigate to this UK Government Site using a Browser on your Desktop or via Mobile.
- You will then need to enter your 9-digit National Insurance Number, which can be found on a payslip, national insurance card, P60, benefits information, and tax return documents.
- Next, you must enter your personal information, including first name, surname, postcode, gender, and date of birth.
- Check the box at the bottom of the webpage to agree to the terms of service.
- Finally, click “View now” to check your driving licence number.
Frequently Asked Questions
I still can‘t view my driving licence number, what else can I do?
If for some reason you still can’t view your driving licence number, you can try contacting the DVLA by phone, live chat, email, or post.
Learn how to send an inquiry by reading our full guide on How to Contact DVLA(UK).
I don‘t know my driving licence number because I lost my driving licence, what do I do?
You may still know your driving licence number by following the steps mentioned above and contacting the DVLA.
However, lost driving licence should be reported and replaced right away.
Check the steps on how to apply for a replacement using the guide Lost Driving licence UK | How To Replace And Apply.
I now have my driving licence number and want to view my driving licence information, what do I do?
It’s easy to get information about your driving licence status by phone, email, post, or online.
The most convenient option is through GOV.UK’s online status checker.
Learn how to view your driving licence information using your driving licence number here.
Where can I locate my Driving Licence Number on my Drivers Licence?
Your driving licence number is on the front of your photocard underneath your licence’s expiry date.
Refer to our comprehensive guide UK Driving Licence Explained to learn more.
Remembering your driving licence number is essential and handy, especially if you need to fill out forms or applications requiring your driving licence number.
Simply follow the step-by-step instructions as mentioned in this guide and you’ll be able to retrieve your driving licence number.
Nevertheless, as long as you haven’t lost your driving licence, you can always refer to your licence card for the driving licence number.
If you’d like to do some further reading about driving in the UK, check our full guides on the following topics:
- Driving in London is one of the best options if you plan to have a road trip within London.
- Pay attention to the Congestion Charge when driving in London.
- Want to drive in the UK legally? You need a driving licence first. Follow these Steps to Get a Driving Licence in the UK.
- Before you decide to get a driving licence, you may want to know how much you are going to spend before applying for one. Check out our guide to how much for a driving licence.
- Choose one of the Best Driving Schools in London if you decide to learn to drive and get a full driving licence.
- You may want to know How Many Driving Lessons You Need to Pass the Driving Test.
- How much time should I spend on learning to drive? Read our guide to How Long Does It Take To Learn to Drive.
- Applying for the driving licence, but don’t know how to fill in the form? Download INF1D Booklet and read our guide to solve the problem.
- After applying for your driving licence, you may want to track your driving licence and know whether it is legal to drive if your Driving Licence Has Not Arrived.
- After getting your driving licence, you may be happy to learn more about it. Check out our guide to UK Driving Licence Explained.
- Want to check your driving licence online? Check out our guide to How To Check Status Of Driving Licence.
- If you are unlucky Losing your driving licence, it is not the world’s end, follow our detailed guide to Lost Driving licence UK | How To Replace And Apply.
- Unfortunately, you get a Private Parking Ticket, but you don’t know how to deal with it. Should you pay for it? Check out our guide to Do You Have To Pay Private Parking Tickets.
- You may want to buy Car Insurance but don’t know how to buy it. Check out our guide to A Comprehensive Guide on Car Insurance in the UK.
- Can’t Remember your Car Insurance Company? Check out our guide to Who Am I Insured With.
- If you forgot your Car Insurance Expiry Date and want to find it out, here is our guide to 5 Ways To Check your Car Insurance Expiry Date.
Have you tried doing the steps in this guide? What was the end result?
Share your experience by writing a comment in the comments section below. We’d love to know how it went!