Can I check my driver’s licence status online UK?
The UK government now offers an online service that allows you to check your driving licences online.
This new way of checking licences makes it easier to determine if your licences have been suspended or revoked.
Additionally, you can have instant information regarding the restrictions placed on your licence, such as whether or not you can drive at night or the type of vehicle you are allowed to use, for example.
Hence, you can avoid fines and maintain a stellar record by keeping yourself updated about your driving status and restrictions.
So, if you would like to look up your driving licence information, this article lists the steps on how to do it.
In summary, here are the topics you will read about:
- Benefits Of Checking Your Driving License Online
- Steps On How To Check Your Driving License Online
- How To Check License For Penalty Points
- How To Check Other Driver’s Driving Licenses Online
- Other Ways To Check Driving License Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1 Benefits Of Checking Your Driving License Online
- 2 Steps On How To Check Your Driving License Online
- 3 How To Check Driving License For Penalty Points
- 4 How To Check Other Driver’s Driving Licenses Online
- 5 Other Ways To Check Driving License Information
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions
- 7 Final Thoughts
Benefits Of Checking Your Driving License Online
Save Time and Avoid the Hassle
You can avoid the hassle of physically going to the office and standing in line by accessing your driving licence online.
Get Instant Information
It’s a great way to get fast and up-to-date information on your driver’s licence.
Waiting for information to arrive is no longer needed since you get instant information with a click of a finger.
Be a Responsible Driver
Maintaining a proper record of your valid driver’s licence shows how committed you are to adhering to the laws and regulations of the UK, which is part of being a responsible driver.
It is a driver’s responsibility to follow new rules, be aware of penalties incurred, and check car insurance information, which can be all done online.
Steps On How To Check Your Driving License Online
You must understand how to check your driving licence online in the UK to stay updated with your driving records anytime and anywhere.
Check your driving licence information by following these steps.
Step 1: Visit gov.uk page on View or share your driving licence information page.
Step 2: Click “Start Now”.
Step 3: Fill all the boxes with the relevant details, including national insurance number, postcode, and driving licence number, and tick the “Agree” box.
Step 4: Click “View now”. You will be directed to the page containing all your driving licence status data. You can check out the vehicles you can drive on this website. Additionally, it displays any penalty points or suspensions you may have.
Step 5: You can access the driving licence data under different sections at this step. The data is divided into four parts.
- In section 1, you can check your licence’s status and validity date. You can also access the information related to your date of birth and licence issuance.
- Section 2 includes driving entitlement history with details about the class and category of vehicle that you’re entitled to drive. This section is also beneficial as it allows you to view all the restrictions imposed on your driving licence.
- Section 3 answers the query on how to check my licence for penalty points, as it addresses penalties and suspensions. You can access any fines or endorsements on your driving record.
- Section 4 allows you to get a driving licence check code if you want to share your driving licence data with others. It is helpful when you want employment in the transport industry, and the employer wants proof of your driving licence.
Visit the gov.uk to view the driving licence information on the go.
This method makes viewing your driving records online more manageable, precise, and quicker than ever.
You only need to know your postcode, National Insurance number, and licence plate number.
How To Check Driving License For Penalty Points
What Are Penalty Points?
If you drive a vehicle in the UK, you need to know about penalty points and how they affect your licence.
The penalty point system is designed to ensure that drivers who commit certain offenses have their licences revoked for some time.
Penalty points can be given out when drivers break these rules, including speeding, ignoring a red light, or not wearing a seatbelt.
Once someone has committed more than six penalty points within two years, their licence will be revoked.
To be able to keep track of penalty points incurred, use the online service mentioned above.
How to Check Your Penalty Points Online
Step 1: Complete Steps 1 to 4 that are mentioned above under Steps On How To Check Your Driving License Online.
Step 2: You can access the penalty points under Section 3. The page lists any convictions or endorsements you may have received, including when they were issued, what they were for, and any penalties imposed.
In addition, it also tells you whether or not your current licence has been revoked or canceled in that period and gives details about any other licences you may have held during this period.
How To Check Other Driver’s Driving Licenses Online
What Is a Driving License Check Code
A driving licence check code is a unique number issued to every individual who has a driving licence.
It is the most effective and legitimate way to learn more about someone’s driving history.
Basically, check codes can allow you to look up someone else’s driving record.
It must be used within 21 days or three weeks and can only be used once.
When the permitted period has passed, you must request a new driving licence check code in case you need it again.
Vice versa, you can also give your check code to other drivers to allow them to have access to your driving licence details, including any endorsements and fines.
It is important to note that you should never give your driving licence check code to anyone unless they are authorized to get them.
How To Use Check Codes to Check Driver’s Driving Licenses
Using a check code to check someone’s driving licence details is only legal if the other driver gave you permission to use it.
Keep in mind that it is illegal and considered a crime to have access to other driver’s driving licence information without their consent.
If you can’t get a check code, an alternative way is to confirm the other driver’s driving licence information with the DVLA.
To check someone’s driving licence online, you need the following data:
- Last eight characters of the driver’s driving licence number
- Check code of the driver
Once you have the two pieces of information, follow the steps below to check driving licence information of other drivers.
Step 1: Visit the page Check someone’s driving licence information.
Step 2: Click “Start Now” and the site leads you to the details page.
Step 3: Enter the details, including the last eight digits of the driving licence number and check code. Check codes are in the form of big and small letters and random numbers.
When entering the check code in the box, follow its exact format, especially the exact big or small letters used.
Alternatively, if you have a device with a camera, you can simply scan the QR code shown on the page.
Step 4: Click either “Check licence” or ‘Scan QR Code’. You will be directed to the page containing the driving licence data.
To check licences for Northern Ireland driving licence, you should visit the website of nidirect and follow the process on how to apply to check someone’s driving licence information.
The process is similar to the above mentioned, just enter the last eight digits of the driving licence number and check code in the text fields.
Other Ways To Check Driving License Information
There may be situations where you will face problems with checking your driving licence online.
In case that happens, you can use the following ways below to check your driving licence.
Get help using the DVLA contact number
You can call DVLA for help if you have the last eight characters of your driving licence number.
The contact number and office hours for making a call at DVLA are as follows:
- Telephone: 0300 083 0013
- Availability: Monday to Friday – 8 am to 7 pm; Saturday – 8 am to 2 pm
Submit Request to DVLA via post
Complete the ‘make a subject access request to DVLA form’ and send it to Subject Access Request (SAR) Enquiries, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BX. Keep in mind that getting a check code via post is not possible.
Send an email to DVLA
The email should include your full name, address, and driver licence number.
If you don’t know your driver number, you can mention your date of birth instead.
Moreover, getting a check code via email is also not possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Companies Need To Check My Driving License?
Applying for insurance, credit card, renting a car, or even getting your first job usually requires getting your driving licence information.
Why Do Some Companies Need My Driving License?
Certain companies need to check your driving licence before hiring you.
These include employers who transport goods, hire out vehicles, and employ bus drivers.
A driving licence proves you can legally operate a motor vehicle on public roads.
If you work with transportation companies, the employers want to know if you have your driver’s licence, and they may ask for it as one of your credentials.
For example, if you want to drive an Uber in London, then they will need to see your driver’s licence before they hire you as an Uber driver.
Is My Driving License Information Safe Online?
Your driving licence information is safe, as no one can access your account without accurate login details.
Furthermore, the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) has advanced security measures to ensure that hackers or other online fraudsters do not intercept any data you provide.
Hence, you can be assured that all your driving licence information is safe online.
A driving licence is a legal document containing important information about you and your driving ability.
You must keep your driving licence safe and secure at all times.
Moreover, checking your driving licence status online is crucial to saving you from the hassle and frustration of going to the DVLA offices.
Simply view your driving licence information using the gov.uk website.
Go to this site, enter your details and choose the driving licence information you wish to check.
For further reading, check out our articles on driving in London, lost driving licence, or how to find out who my car is insured with.
Further Reading for Driving in the UK.
- Driving in London is one of the best options if you plan to have a road trip within London.
- Pay attention to the Congestion Charge when driving in London.
- Want to drive in the UK legally? You need a driving licence first. Follow these Steps to Get a Driving Licence in the UK.
- Before you decide to get a driving licence, you may want to know how much you are going to spend before applying for one. Check out our guide to how much for a driving licence.
- Choose one of the Best Driving Schools in London if you decide to learn to drive and get a full driving licence.
- You may want to know How Many Driving Lessons You Need to Pass the Driving Test.
- How much time should I spend on learning to drive? Read our guide to How Long Does It Take To Learn to Drive.
- Applying for the driving licence, but don’t know how to fill in the form? Download INF1D Booklet and read our guide to solve the problem.
- After applying for your driving licence, you may want to track your driving licence and know whether it is legal to drive if your Driving Licence Has Not Arrived.
- After getting your driving licence, you may be happy to learn more about it. Check out our guide to UK Driving Licence Explained.
- If you are unlucky Losing your driving licence, it is not the world’s end, follow our detailed guide to Lost Driving licence UK | How To Replace And Apply.
- Can’t find out your Driving Licence Number? Don’t worry about it, here is a step-by-step guide to How to Get Driving Licence Number if Lost.
- Unfortunately, you get a Private Parking Ticket, but you don’t know how to deal with it. Should you pay for it? Check out our guide to Do You Have To Pay Private Parking Tickets.
- You may want to buy Car Insurance but don’t know how to buy it. Check out our guide to A Comprehensive Guide on Car Insurance in the UK.
- Can’t Remember your Car Insurance Company? Check out our guide to Who Am I Insured With.
- If you forgot your Car Insurance Expiry Date and want to find it out, here is our guide to 5 Ways To Check your Car Insurance Expiry Date.